Our Boat

Caloosa Spirit

Catalina 42 mkII

Log #11 Moving Out…But Not On

We had a very pleasant visit with Lauri here a couple of weeks ago. We showed her around St. Thomas and St. John with all the requisite shopping, sailing, snorkeling, and touring. It was great to spend the time with her, but it went by much too quickly. Visits with family tend to amplify feelings of homesickness. We then spent some time back at the base in the BVI last week for the last of the refurbishment (almost). We still have to check into a different marina tomorrow to get the very last things done. That’s the plan anyway. Ironically, these last two items were some of the very first repairs needed 4 years ago. Another aspect of Island Time?

Anyway, when we left the base last Friday it was the first time in 3 months that we had no pressing schedule. So we actually got to experience retirement again! We headed for a quiet anchorage with a beach and not much else, and got into relaxation mode. The whole weekend was a treat. Saturday night we went out for dinner and dancing with friends Fred & Bev. We also spent Sunday sailing and snorkeling with them. It was a great reminder of why we undertook this adventure.

This week, however, it’s back to work mode. Yesterday was laundry day, and today Jim has to take the dinghy engine for its 10-hour tune-up. Of course, that will be after he manages to saw off the corroded lock that’s only 2 months old. Nothing is ever easy. And grocery shopping has to happen some time today. Even while living in Paradise we still have to eat. But I can’t complain about doing chores when the weather is (usually) spectacular and WARM!

This morning we arrived at Nanny Cay Marina to get the last two repairs done (replacing the starboard outboard genoa track and the starboard rubrail). With help and line handlers we managed to squeeze into a very tight slip. Actually, the slip (space of water next to a dock) isn’t so tight as the space getting to the slip. This marina has boats and slips set up every which way, many in spaces far too small. The shipwright assigned to the repairs found that the surface repair done 4 years ago was not done correctly, resulting in a seawater leak. Apparently no one at that time considered the hull-to-deck joint anything but cosmetic! I guess it’s fortunate we haven’t done any heavy sailing, because we haven’t noticed any seawater entering at the rubrail, which covers the joint. Anyway, the repair was made, the new rubrail ordered, and the track went on like clockwork. There’s a good chance we’ll get out of here tomorrow. In the meantime the pool here is pleasant with a lovely view.

Nanny Cay Resort

The rubrail didn’t arrive today. So we did some catch-up on e-mail, finances, and sunbathing by the pool. It should arrive tomorrow.

Yep, “tomorrow”. Remember the clockwork? Well, the clock stopped when the rubrail got ordered. We’re communicating from the BVI remember, so the rubrail won’t be here until next Monday. That elusive day when we sign off with Sunsail for good always seems to be just a few days away. We’ve decided to stay here tied to the dock over the weekend, largely to avoid having to negotiate our way into this tight spot a second time. The pool with the lovely view is an added attraction. Jim went up the mast today to take care of some items up there. The wind indicator wasn’t working quite right, and the radio seems to be transmitting weakly. And the sail cover needed new lines, and a second flag halyard… The challenges never end.

I’ve enjoyed reading Our Virgin Island by Robb White. He and his new wife moved from the U.S. to Tortola in the late 1930’s, and ended up purchasing the small island of Marina Cay. The book is the story of their life here for 3 years. The hardships they endured building their home, making their way around the islands in small (13’ & 15’) boats, and the history of the BVI up to that time make for interesting reading. The book is out of print, but I lucked into a copy at the marina book exchange. Most marinas have a library of used books that are take-one/leave-one. It’s a great way to have a continuous supply of reading material. I never care much whether I’ll really like the books I pick up, since I don’t pay for them. And, like this time, I never know what treasure awaits at the next marina!

Some cruising friends of ours once told us they try not to do more than two things each day—shopping, laundry, maintenance, touring, etc. We think that’s a good policy, so we decided today we would do only two things—install new stereo speakers in the cockpit and sort out the books that we as yet have no spot for. You know, the best laid plans… We did get the speakers installed (very good Bose speakers!), but not before 7:00 PM. That was after cleaning the connections and checking for some improvement in our VHF radio transmission (the jury is still out on that), and spending time at the pool—the one with the lovely view. The speakers are great! (Now we have to justify the expense of Bose speakers for the cabin. The ones in the cockpit were already shot.) And we had a very relaxing time at the pool. There is definitely something to be said for spontaneity.

Two things today? Maybe. The books, e-mail, marking anchor chain, and lounging by the pool are all calling us.

Nanny Cay

Smooth sailing until next time,
Alice & Jim Rutherford

Posted Sunday February 9, 2003

* * *

name Remember
  Textile Help